Potato and Comte Galette
Makes 6-8 servings
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, coarsely shredded
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 whole nutmeg or ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups or approximately ½ pound (.6#) coarsely shredded Comte, accounting for the discarded rind
- In a 9-inch cast iron pan, melt the butter, reserving half in separate container.
- Add half of the butter to the preheated skillet.
- Place 1/3 of the shredded potatoes in the skillet in an even layer. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon salt, grinding of fresh pepper and some nutmeg. Top with 1/3 of the cheese.
- Repeat with potatoes, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cheese. Top with remaining potatoes.
- Drizzle with reserved melted butter and press down on the potatoes with back of spatula. Sprinkle remaining ½ teaspoon salt, pepper and nutmeg and top with remaining cheese.
- Over medium heat, cook potatoes on stovetop for 10 minutes,until potatoes sizzle and edges turn brown. Transfer skillet to oven and bake 25 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and the potatoes are tender when pierced with knife tip.
- Remove and let stand 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve hot.
From Culture Magazine